CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 05, 2007

Saw the Dr

So I saw the Dr. Not to much to say though. Let me put it this way. He has no personality!

Ugh this was my concern with Drs. really I was spoiled by my old dr in Portland. He was fantastic and had a great personality. Very friendly and really liked to get to know his patients. Very hands on and comforting. He listened to what you had to say and always ingaged you in conversation. With me that was great. That is how he knew how I was really doing. When I was first diagnosed with having depression I was still in denial basically. I didn't want to admit thats what it was but the slighted thing had me in tears and I just couldn't handle anything. at. all....
I was in to see him for something else but he could tell something was wrong and asked all the right questions. That was the kind of reporte we had with each other. He was also very protective of me and my family. I loved him as a dr and really no dr will ever compare to him. The funny thing is he was one of my reasons I refused to entertain the idea of moving for a long time.

This dr was the complete opposite of that. He acted like he didn't want to listen really to what I had to say he just wanted the basics and didn't really want to converse at all. That bothered me. Also some of the important things about my history he acted as if it wasn't important and didn't include in the notes he was taking during the appointment. It just bothered me. He did give me my B12 shot which I can already tell is helping and I am set up to get my Iron infusion on Monday. That will really help me.

I have this set up and taken care of for now but I will have to check out maybe some of the other 3 doctors in town. I just have to have the right fit. For me that is really important, it's just really hard to explain but things like the issues I had when I had Joshua still affect me today and he didn't seem to consider it important. My health is precarious at times and I need to know that my doctor will take things seriously since sometimes it takes a little searching to figure out how to fix the problem. Also he didn't seem to interested in the fact I have a port in my chest. This is an important thing since complications can arise if it fails or breaks it can be life threatening and again I don't want a doctor that I don't feel I can trust. Keep me in your thoughts while I work this out please.

One good piece of news from the appointment was that I've lost 15lbs since we moved! I was excited to see that. I knew things weren't fitting me right but seeing a number makes it more real to me.

So I'm a little discouraged by todays appointment but thats okay I will get it figured out, I will find a doctor that I'm comfortable with I know it. It's just not the one I saw today.

18 people had something to say:

Beccy said...

Oh Terri, I hope you manage to find a doctor that suits you soon.

Heather K said...

Terri, I'm sorry to hear the news about this dr. I'll be praying for you and that you find one really soon-that's a fit! I know the down of anemia..it's awful and makes it very hard to get out of bed in the morning..or any other time of the day for that matter! I'm glad you got one of your shots and the other lined up! I'm sure you'll start feeling back to yourself soon and also it should enable you to better deal with the dr. situation!
take care

Anonymous said...

How sad Terri, I do find it disturbing when some Doctors lack the ability to 'listen' as well as to have a 'personality bond' with their patient.

This is vital for patient/doctor relationship.

This doctor may well have had an 'off-day' but at least it is worth checking out the other Doctors in the region - after all you want to ensure your health and that of the family are being looked after by someone who will take an interest as well as a professional approach throughout.

Have a great weekend.

Steffi said...

I hope you find soon a good doctor for you Terri!I know by myself that´s isn`t easy because the most doctors have not enough time for the problems of their Patients (customers).And sometimes I have the Impression and supposition they don´t like hear the problems.Good luck and a nice weekend,Terri!

karisma said...

The problem these days is that most doctors are only in it for the money and are not really true healers anymore. I hope you find a good doctor soon. Personally I avoid them like the plague! I have not met a good doctor in over 15 years. I guess when you get a good one they are very hard for the others to live up to.

frannie said...

I know it is important to have the right doctor. I really think you should try some of the others and see if you find one of them to be more to your liking.

I really hope this works out for you, sweetie!

heiresschild said...

you have my sentiments on this one terri. believe me, i do understand. i had to find a new dr staring last year, after seeing my previous dr (who was excellent) for a few years. i'm now on my 3rd dr in less than a year. i'm almost thinking this new one is good, but she just needs to return my phone calls the first time without me having to call again and again.

i hope you do check out another dr. i understand about the trust issues and the drs showing care and concern. i wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

At least you were able to get your treatments, and that will give you more time to look. Peter is correct in saying he may have had an off day. I know my doctor has been like that on occasion, but I have been going to him for a very long time. Sometimes, they know more than we realize, and if he has your previous records, maybe he didn't need to write down your history. I think it is wise to find a doctor you are comfortable with and have a good fit, because you need to have all health issues addressed. Good luck in your search.

la bellina mammina said...

I agree with Frannie - take your time, and I'm very sure you'll find one you like and are comfortable with :-)

la bellina mammina said...

I agree with Frannie - take your time, and I'm very sure you'll find one you like and are comfortable with :-)

Marja said...

Yeh doctors are so important. I had the same experience as you did and had the same caring doctor. Luckily I still have him. I hope you find a good one again. Good luck

Stacy said...

Hang in there! I will pray you will find a doctor you like and trust! I am glad you are feeling better!

Melanie said...

You've definitely got to check out the other doctors. It's so important to have someone you can trust and talk to.

Alpha Dude said...

Personally, I don't have that problem with doctors because I ...uh....just don't go.

Will be praying for you that you find the right one and that all goes well for you.

Blessings.

INSANITY said...

I agree, you need to have someone you feel TOTALLY comfy with. I know it sucks to "dr. shop", but I think it's the best thing for you!

Hope Alaska is treating you well!

M said...

A good dr is absolutely a must. Especially when you may have to see them fairly regularly. Here' sto hoping one of the others is better and takes you more seriously as a PARTNER in your healthcare not just the patient to ignore.

I hatehatehate the way many drs can brush things off. (Which is why I'm trying to find myself a new one. *sigh*)

Junebug said...

My name is Terri also. I hope you find a good doctor. I think it's great you lost 15 lbs. That should be a happy feeling. All that walking you're doing is good for you and that fresh air. Get plenty of sunshine every day, that is supposed to be good for depression. I will be thinking of you and praying for you, I hope that is helpful too. You're going to be alright, that's a positive confession for you. I wish I could make myself get out and walk. I enjoy it once I start, but starting is the hard part. I'm lazy.

ChrisB said...

That's great about the weight loss maybe I should join you out there!! Not so good about the doc, I do hope you find one who is interested in providing you with the care that you need. It must be really difficult when you had such a good relationship with your old Dr. Fingers crossed you will feel more comfortable with one of the others.