CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Halloween Winter Bazaar


Scribbit is hosting a winter bazaar here is what she is doing....


There's going to be a new weekly feature here at Scribbit starting Wednesday October 3rd: The Winter Bazaar.

It can get pretty quiet up here you know--all that snow and darkness and hibernation--so each Wednesday from October through March I will post activities, decorations, games, recipes and crafts centered around a monthly theme and I've invited other blogs to participate. These ideas could be for children or adults, the only requirement is that they fit the seasonal topics:
* October - Halloween
* November - Thanksgiving Day or autumn
* December - Christmas or Hanukkah
* January - the new year or winter in general
* February - Valentine's Day or love
* March - Easter or spring

To participate, publish a post describing an activity on the monthly theme then come here to Scribbit and leave the permalink to the post (not the main blog URL) in the comments section of my Winter Bazaar post. I've chosen to do it this way so that participants have room to describe their ideas and promote their post and to make things even more fun, for this first month I'm offering a prize to a random participant. Each time someone leaves a link to their own Winter Bazaar idea (if they're a blogger) or leaves a comment (if they're a reader) their name goes into the pot, up to once a week. More on the prize next week.

Since I am also now a fellow Alaskan I decided to participate. I will try to participate as much as possible.

My first Halloween favorites post is about one of the things our kids really enjoyed doing in October before Halloween back in Portland. That would be our trip to the pumpkin patch to choose those special pumpkins to have outside on our porch.
We would usually go out about a week or two before Halloween and each kid got to pick out a pumpkin of their choice. The only rule was that they had to be able to carry it themselves since it was "their" pumpkin.
Generally Izzak would find the biggest pumpkin he could lift and just barely make it back to the stands to buy them.


Joshua generally was very picky and takes a long time trying to find the perfect pumpkin.

The pictures in this post we had gotten started kind of late so a lot of the pumpkins were starting to go bad and that was making Kenzie a little grossed out. She likes little pumpkins just big enough to carve but still little.

Madison well she wasn't to picky but took forever, well because Madison lives on Madison time and takes forever to do anything usually it took so long just because she was walking around not looking at the pumpkins to begin with.

Of course she usually was able to talk Daddy into carrying her pumpkin because he just really wanted to get it done with!

Of course the problem is that we can't do this anymore since Ketchikan doesn't have pumpkin patches. I suppose we will have to resort buying our pumpkins at from the grocery store now instead. :(

20 people had something to say:

Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

Oh, I love taking kids to the pumpkin patches!

Maybe you can venture over to a Farmer's Market...

Ice Cream said...

My kids love going to the pumpkin farm too. We had to miss going today because my daughter is sick and already my son has prayed twice that we will be able to go tomorrow. Probably not, but I'm hoping by S
sat we can go.

la bellina mammina said...

oh, how cool is that! We don't have a pumpkin farm here, and the pumpkins they sell here are smaller than those :-)

Steffi said...

Wow...fantastic pictures of a pumpkin farm!I never see before such a pumpkin farm!Really nice.

Pamela said...

I thought that pumpkins grew extra huge in Alaska because of the long days of summer ? ? ? ? ?

Marja said...

Oh that's funny. We've got shops here called pumpkin patch. Never knew they really existed. I have to wait with your game till december. We just started spring and not much of Halloween here.

Beccy said...

How cool going to choose your pumpkin, we get us at the supermarket, they aren't that great and are hideously overpriced.

Melanie said...

What? No pumpkin patches? What is fall without a trip to a pumpkin patch? I'm sure you'll come up with something fun for your kids to remember though. You're creative like that.

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
frannie said...

I can't wait to go to the pumpkin patch this year!

and I have to say that I love Kenzie's outfit!

Beckie said...

I love going to the pumpkin patch!

I added you as a friend in facebook, but I didn't leave a message on facebook. I am still a little facebook challenged .... if you know what I mean.

ChrisB said...

I was never big on Halloween when my kids were growing up but my grand children love it. Love the photos of your children with the pumpkins.

Scribbit said...

I've never been to a pumpkin patch before (weird huh?) and that picture you posted made me chuckle a little, some of the pumpkins look a little oozy. It reminded me of a Far Side cartoon I saw that had a picture of a "Boneless Chicken Ranch" where the chickens were lying all over the ground in oozy blobs :)

Wish they had patches here . . .

Anonymous said...

We have never visited a pumpkin patch. We grow our own pumpkins and we have had some from family. I put them around the house until we eat them. We don't carve any for halloween, they just sit here in the house until we eat them or they go bad and the go to compost. This year we had a plant taking over our compost pile.

It looks like it was a fun time, and you have great photos for memories and you will find other traditions where you are.

Stacy said...

I was going to stop by a patch today, but I did not. I will try to go this weekend and pick out some good ones! I love this time of year!!

Anonymous said...

The joys of Halloween and the pumkins all decked out with the glow of lights!!!

I do hope you are able to locate a store nearby, so that the children can indulge in their creativity for this Halloween!!

Luv the photo's...

Janice said...

Ok, I laughed when I saw Madison's expression!

I really want to go to a pumpkin patch with the kids this year. Believe it or not, I've never been to one.

What a sweet picture of Madison and her daddy. :-)

Heather K said...

Hey Terri...
I tried vimeo but it just sat there for ever and wouldn't do anything...i clicked upload your first video, it went to the next page and just sat there for hours! I tried again this morning and the same thing happened...I'm trying youtube at the moment...so I guess we'll see what happens.
I've never been to a pumpkin patch before either..but there is a fruitstand not too far from us that has mountains of pumpkins piled up...the make an incredible fall display with all the fruits and veggies and bales of hay...it's SO pretty....I'm hoping we can get down there this weekend. It's a long weekend for us, Thanksgiving...I love that trip so I'm really hoping to go. Randal is going hunting though, so I may have to take the kids by myself. That's okay...who knows-maybe we'll get our winter's meat out of the deal!

Anonymous said...

So cool. I've never visited a pumpkin patch either.

Love the photos. That one of Izzak is awesome with all of the pumpkins strechting out into the background.

Heather K said...

ps...I finally did that video post...i ended up using blogger...i couldnt get youtube or vimeo to work for me.