CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 19, 2007

Just for this Day

Last year before my blog was every noticed I had posted this poem to my kids. It was during a lot of troubles we were having between Kenzie and her chronic stomach, asthma, etc. problems when they were testing her for Cystic Fibrosis (long story) and we weren't really getting answers. I was fighting daily with the school for Izzaks educational needs not being met even while the school was telling me grim statics about what he will be capable of doing when he grows up. I was really frustrated and found this poem. Yes of course it made me cry.

I am posting it again not because we are back in that period where I was feeling like everything was falling apart but because when I originally posted it I did not have the correct name of the poem or the authors name. I received an email from her today and wanted to make sure that she received the credit she really deserves as well as having the original poem which I think is so much better then the one someone tried to make there own for a scam email.

This poem was originally written by her for her son Dhylan. I do not know the story behind the poem but I can see the love for him in her words.


‘Just for this day’

By Sally Meyer


Just for this morning,
I am going to smile whenever I see your face, and laugh when I feel like crying.

Just for this morning, I will let you wake up softly, all rumpled in your flannel pyjamas, and hold you until you are ready to stir.

Just for this morning, I will let you choose what you want to wear, and smile and say how beautiful you are.

Just for this morning, I am going to step over the laundry to pick you up and take you to the park to play.

Just for this morning, I am going to eat a huge breakfast , with bacon, eggs, toast and waffles, and you don’t have to eat any.

Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink, and let you teach me how to put that 100 piece puzzle together.

Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off and sit with you in the garden blowing bubbles.

Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck, and I will buy you one if he comes by.

Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck, and I will buy you one if he comes by.

Just for this afternoon, I won’t worry about what you are going to be when you grow up or who you might have been before your diagnosis.

Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies, and I won’t stand over you trying to ‘fix’ things.

Just for this afternoon, I will let you put all kinds of barrettes in my hair and lipstick on my face, and I will tell you how pretty you have made me look.

Just for this afternoon, I will take you to McDonald’s and buy us both a Happy Meal, so that you can have both toys.

Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story about how you were born, and how much we love you. Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the bathtub and not get angry when you throw water over your sister’s head.

Just for this evening, I will let you stay up late while we sit on the porch swing and count all the stars. Just for this evening, I will bring you glasses of water, and snuggle beside you for three hours, and miss my favorite show on TV.

Just for this evening, When I kneel down to pray, I will simply be grateful for all that I have and not ask for anything.

Except just one more day.

~ Copyright Sally Meyer 1999 ~

18 people had something to say:

Pamela said...

shivers from reading that.

Janice said...

That is a wonderful poem, Terri! Got me all teary eyed! Thank you for sharing it!

ChrisB said...

That is a beautiful poem and sweet pictures.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful and with such heartfelt emotion in poetic verse.

And all credit to the Author - she is to be praised for such a Loving Poem - that I feel sure any parent would wish to emulate.

Thanks for sharing Terri - a tearful moment when reading..

Anonymous said...

Hey Terri, Congratulations on the 'Blogging Awards' - how did I miss those....

Guess it's a case of stil getting used to my bifocals...

Well deserved too...

Enjoy the weekend.

Beccy said...

I wasn't reading you a year ago so thanks for republishing the poem, it really is beautifully written.

Junebug said...

Moving poem, makes you remember to be thankful. Here's wishing you a beatiful week-end.

Junebug said...

And by the way, I love that kitty that you adopted. You would laugh at the time I have spent teasing it with my mouse!! :))) I'm not kidding...

frannie said...

that was absolutely beautiful!

I love it-- so glad you reposted it.

Anonymous said...

It is a moving poem and a reminder of what we have in life. Things aren't always the way we want them to be, but we need to appreciate it anyway.

Jocelyn said...

Ah, the details. Right down to buying us both a Happy Meal, so you can have both toys. Yes.

Anonymous said...

What a great poem. I think we all feel the same way - especially that last sentence. Just one more day, thanks!

~ej said...

that's fabulous! i've never read the original, so it's good to do that now.
i'm glad you reposted it with your photos :-)

heiresschild said...

this is really beautiful terri. we all need to have a "just for this day" in our lives. i'm glad you've gotten answers in your children's lives.

Steffi said...

Very beautiful poem,Terri and sweet pictures!

Melanie said...

A beautiful poem that always makes me cry!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

M said...

I'm obviously INCREDIBLY behind reading journals. And this? To start my day off? Made me bawl and bawl. I so get it. Thank you for sharing it.