CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Fun Monday "how we met"




This weeks Fun Monday is brought to us by Janet from The Planet of Janet. Here is her assignment for this week....

Describe your meeting with your spouse/significant other. I especially want to hear "meet cute" stories. And it doesn't have to be your actual current sig/other. Perhaps the "meet cute" story is a former boy/girlfriend... or even a best friend. Illustrate with photos, of course


I'm not exactly sure what she means by "meet cute" story but I will describe how Kelly and I met almost 15 years ago! We are only 31 so that is pretty much half of our lives already!

Hmm where do I begin? First off we met at our high school youth group from church. I started going to this church my Junior year (11th grade) in high school after a very bad experience from my previous youth group leader whose wife decided on her own that I was a bad person basically, not sure how she formed that opinion but it turned out bad and that youth group actually disolved afterwards because none of the rest of the kids felt they could trust the youth leader or his wife anymore. I had gone to the church Kelly went to for a youth ralley type thing and had liked the group and felt excepted so most of us kids from the other group started attending this new church.

My first impression of Kelly was that he was a jerk! To be honest. Yes he knows it and actually takes pride in it! Kelly was a mechanic and one of the bigger kids in the group and hung out with some of the other boys that were also bigger and a bit rowdy. So anyway the first time I saw Kelly he and 3 other friends of his had decided it would be funny to take the smallest Freshman boy in the group and wrap him in duct tape. Nice guys right? Well yeah they didn't stop there they had him standing on a piano bench and were in the process of taping him to the wall when one of the youth leaders came in and stopped them.....poor kid. There were a couple of other things he did to be a bit of a trouble maker before we ever actually talked but I found out later that he had noticed me the first time I came and already liked me but had a girlfriend already.

He got up the nerve to talk to me that spring which was about 4 months after I had started attending and we talked a few times. It was a good time for me I had just moved to a new house with my parents and was trying to make some decisions regarding school. It was going to be my senior year and I didn't know if I would take the bus to the old school (which would be a 1 hour trip twice a day) or go to the school in our new neighborhood. We talked a couple of times before summer came and he was a counselor at the churches summer camp so he was gone for awhile. His girlfriend was a counselor to so I didn't think anything of our little talks.

In August the church had a church picnic at the same camp he was at. He was there and told me that he had broken up with his girlfriend and we spent the rest of the day walking through the camp and talking. He asked me if we could do something sometime when he got back from camp and I said yes.

We went on our first date at the end of August and I decided to go to the new school which was t he same one Kelly went to. After the first date we were pretty much inseperable he picked me up from school and drove me home or to my work at the time. We went out most weekends and spent the day after school together. Actually I helped with his english homework and somehow he ended up with a better grade? Not sure how that happened.....

In about January we already new we wanted to get married some day.

We had our Senior pictures taken together and that is where the pic below came from.....


I could finish the story with how we got married in August exactly one year from our first date but I will save that for another post!

36 people had something to say:

Emma in Canada said...

I love that picture of the two of you together. it's very sweet.

Pamela said...

you two were so everlovin' cute!!! I expect you to get up and start singing.. that song from Sound of Music. (I am 16 going on 17... I'll take care of you!!)

Anonymous said...

I started out not so crazy about my hubby, too. Funny how things turn out, huh? I enjoyed your story and like Emma said, great photo!

Unknown said...

I'm with Emma. The picture is adorable. Obviously it all worked out & you got over your dislike. Did his accent help at all?

Robinella said...

Ahhh! Young love. Nothing sweeter.

the planet of janet said...

what a great photo! there's nothing better than young love.

Beccy said...

Wow, you've been together over half your life that is some achievement.

Sayre said...

I sometimes wish I'd found my guy in highschool - sure would have saved some heartaches and time. I love your highschool picture - you guys are so cute!

Hootin Anni said...

That is ONE GREAT senior photo! I love it.

katy said...

young love and true love too wonderful

Anonymous said...

A delightful story of you and Kelly and all the more appealing - your new life in Alaska - united in love.

Fianna said...

What an amazing story!! Being the same age, it is shocking to me that you are with your high school sweetheart! Perfect!!

Beckie said...

That pic is great! I don't even have a picture from our dating years...I hated to have my picture taken even then.

ChrisB said...

A love story that has already lasted half a life time is just wonderful. Not many people can say that! Now you are on a new adventure together. I love the quote at the end of your post.

Heather K said...

cute story Terri....I should tell mine sometime..it's pretty funny.
How are ya doin with school. I'm starting with Janelle today.. I picked up her curriculum on friday...I'm not too sure what we're going to be doing today...probably not too much with the books..probably some games that came with her stuff. She was pretty ummm not sure what the right word would be..traumatized is too strong a word but I think you know what I mean...so I'm going to do alot of oral stuff and games...try to put some fun back into it..to make her learning experience something to look back on with fondness instead of with tears! You guys have an awesome day!
Heather

Anonymous said...

How funny that he takes pride in being thought a jerk at first! It's a good thing you managed to find the real him.

Sandy said...

Such a sweet story. I always love it when the fairy tale actually works - with a lot of work, no doubt - but, still...thanks.

Amy W said...

What a great story!

Anonymous said...

School Sweethearts! Not many relationships last - way to go for you to last! True love.

Anonymous said...

Does it make me a horrible person that I laughed at the duct taping episode? Ok don't answer that. I love the story and you two in your Senior picture is priceless! So stinkin cute.

M said...

OH I love it! Just love it! And married a year after your first date? *faints* It's a great story NOW but what a crazy pair of kids you were! :)

Tiggerlane said...

It was destiny! And the senior photo is absolutely gorgeous - wish I had something similar. Of course, when I was a senior, my husband was 32...so that would have been...odd!

Anonymous said...

I love the the photo too. A great story. Interesting how in some situations it really isn't like at first sight at all.

frannie said...

awwww!!! I remember this story, but it is cute to hear it again! how sweet y'all are!

heiresschild said...

beautiful romantic story terri.

thanks for sharing about the blog template. i just looked at Izzak's. i sure wish you could tell me how to add the widgets/the extra stuff. i may have to return to the old template because i'm not tech saavy enough to figure things out on my own. usually i get instructions from someone.

Anonymous said...

Great picture. And great story.

My wife and I didn't care that much for each other when we first met either. But, it worked out for us too.

Kellan said...

What a great story and aren't you two cute! I have four kids too. See ya.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. I remember you writing about this earlier and I enjoyed reading about it then as well.

la bellina mammina said...

What a 'cute' :-) story and a lovely pic. Love reding about it :-)

Kila said...

Aww, teen love :) Cute photo of you two kids. Glad you've lasted happily all these years!

~ej said...

that's great....i love those photos :-)

Janice said...

Oooh, can't wait to read the rest of your story! Your hubby looks like Izzak in the first picture! :)

Jenni said...

I love your senior picture! So cute! It looks like there were quite a few people on the Fun Monday list who met when they were pretty young.

Jill said...

that's young love!

Melanie said...

Awww, how sweet! I love your senior picture together!!

Steffi said...

Very sweet pictures all!