CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Like I've said things are always changing...

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE! Apparently I'm slightly insane.... that is what I keep telling myself anyway. You remember how I've been saying all along there is no way I would home school Joshua? Well yeah that might be changing, most likely actually. Does that sound right? What got me to this point? Joshua is failing every subject in school except Band, Music and PE.....all F's. The kid is not stupid or having any trouble with the work he just doesn't get it done. When the teacher does work with them in class including giving them the answers he still doesn't get them right. So obviously he is not paying attention. He does have ADHD you know so it's not a total surprise although he had been doing fairly well in school prior to this. He does really well when they are studying things he is interested in but otherwise he just wanders and never gets it done. I fight him at home to get his homework done but for some reason it doesn't get turned in.

So I talked to him about it and he said he wanted me to home school him also. Earlier in the year he was dead set against home schooling so I don't know what changed. Anyway I told him he would need to show me he can get his work done and work to improve his grades and that he needed to work on his attitude and doing what he was told to at home and then I would think about it. Although I'm still saying that to him I am pretty postitive we are going to at least give him a 1 year trial with home schooling to see if it will work for him. I've been looking up all kinds of curriculum ideas though to find things to keep his interest while teaching him at the same time. One of Joshua's favorite things and something that can keep his interest of hours is Legos and guess what I found last night? Lego Education how cool is that? They have lesson plans for Science and Math and things to integrate them into regular lesson plans as well! I was showing Joshua last night and he was really excited. This is all paid for by the home school program I use here in Alaska as well.

There are a lot of other things going on as well and I will share more of that later maybe tomorrow. It has just been super busy and there are things I wanted to post about Izzak and some recent testing we've had done on him for his learning disabilities. Just as a note? I was right in pulling him away from his old school. They were screwing up BIG TIME and his last few years of school have been nearly useless...I'm a bit depressed about it but working on what to do from here to help him out.

17 people had something to say:

frannie said...

I am so sorry that things have noe been going well for Joshua. (and Izzak, too.)

I hope that you are able to get it all worked out and come to the best decision for your family. Good luck!!!

Steffi said...

I agree with Frannie!I am so sorry to hear the things about your Joshua!
You like to give him homeschooling lessons? I am sure you do a great job!Good luck,Terri!

ChrisB said...

Terri I know it will be a lot of work for you but I'm sure you will do a great job with Joshua's homes school programme. I think it's brilliant that they have things like 'Lego Education'. I don't really know why I should be surprised because I used to use it all the time to teach the children as it's so versatile. Good luck.

Emma in Canada said...

Sometimes I wonder if I should homeschool Liam. Would he catch up at all? But then I realize I would probably lose my mind and the idea goes right out of my head. You are a much better mother than I!

Attie said...

I am wondering too...depending on the turn out for conferences I just may home school our son..I will need to get my brain working!!! i am fed up!!!!!!!!!!
Any who have a happy valentines Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Darling said...

I had to pull my daughter out of school because of a sensory disorder. If you choose the homeschool path I think you will love it. All the best to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Terri... you are one awesome mother. I don't know if I could do it...

Beccy said...

I think you must have great patience and strength of character to homeschool. Your children are very lucky with their parents.

Janice said...

Ditto all the previous comments. You are going to do great! You know more about Joshua than any other teacher and i am sure Joshua is going to benefit so much from you!

Debbie said...

Good luck with your deciosion regarding Joshua. It's difficult to decide, I imagine, especially if you generally have problems during homework time. Of course, homework usually occurs at night while homeschooling would most likely be during the day wich may effect his receptiveness.

I'm so Googling Lego Education. Now THAT sounds cool!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope it turns out well. It will be a lot of work, but you have some experience with home schooling and you should be fine. Good luck with finding the right curriculum.

Melanie said...

Sorry to hear about Joshua's troubles. YOU know how he learns best and YOU care more than anyone else about his education. Sounds like YOU'D be the perfect teacher to me!

nannykim said...

I had a similar problem with my youngest son. He had asperger's syndrome I didn't know it. I took him out for the third and the forth grades to homeschool him. He made a lot of progress and was able to learn how to learn. It was very difficult, and when he did return to school I had to spend tons of time helping him in his problem areas. But now he is in college with a full scholarship--amazing!! He still has trouble with certain subjects but has been able to manage.

Wendy said...

My goodness you have your hands full. I hope everything works out for the best. I know you are doing what you feel is right... so go with your gut!!

"J" said...

Good Luck with that!!!! =) Did you ask him if he will miss his friends...will he still get to hang with them and do things with other kids his age? Some of my friends here home school their kids and they put them in to other extra curricular activities so they can still bond with kids their age and don't miss out on that!!! IT lets them run and go and be active to get some extra steam out!!!

You better still make time for blogging....lol =)

Amy W said...

I am sure he will thrive under your wing!

~ej said...

it will be so much more fun at home....although i know it's work either way.....
you will do fantastic. i just feel it! :-)